Chocolate & Controversy

Friday, January 21, 2005

Animals Like Us

Tried to appreciate Kuwait by having a fabulous dinner at Bait 7 and then going to the friday market. I went with a friend who wanted to get a tortoise for someone. We went into the animal market, which was the reason for my five-year foray into vegetarianism, and I couldn't stand it. We must be in infringement of every possible animal rights code of ethics in the world. I feel two-faced saying this, as I tend to enjoy my steak and my KFC occasionally, however, cramming 5 chickens into a tiny cage is out of bounds (even though i think KFC does the same thing with thier brand of non-chickens genetically modified to be lumps of meat- don't quote me on this one I think that's what's going on in the fast food conglomerate - wouldn't want to be sued like Oprah)

I saw a guy cut off a pigeon's fingers for some restrictive reason. There were ducklings lying dead under thier syblings and there were fish forced into being fluorescent. making them the subject of constant ripping by fellow aquarium inhabitants.

But, this is nothing in comparison to the massacre that is Eid celebrations, millions of sheep killed as a part of a festivity - only sheep (taken care of by sheperds) - I wonder why?




Well, I am a hypocrite for standing up for animals and eating them at the same time, but I assure you, I am back in my vegetarianism mode and about to get back into a healthier way of life.

As we left we saw the fireworks stand and looked around. Some toothless trashy geazy guy approaches me saying he has bigger and better fireworks, which he calls "Bin Laden Rocket" or "Sa3adee." I look at him and turn away, first because I really didn't want any firworks and second because I am too tired to explain to him how horrid the connotation that comes with the name of his product is. Geazy-style he kept on making deals even as I was silent, then I asked my friend (who doesn't speak Arabic) in English if he wanted something - being that he was the one who stood by the stand. As I was asking him, the geazy was repeating "Oh Yeah" behind my back in reference to my use of the English language. Now, that's what you get for trying to make a nice day out of Kuwait. I refrained from talking looked back at him and asked if he was making fun of me, he nodded "no" and then I left with a look that Mariah would give to J.Lo.

Keep on holding on and keep on voicing your opinions, at least you can.

Music: Subtle Invitation - Mariah Carey

1 Comments:

  • Now the animal market is where some real campaign/volunteer work can be done. It's horrible, horrible how the animals are treated. It is very depressing to go there.

    By Blogger Jewaira, at Monday, January 24, 2005 7:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home