Chocolate & Controversy

Saturday, December 11, 2004

Soccer Sucker


Am I the only one? I don't understand soccer. I just don't.
Yay, so someone kicks a ball into a net and everyone is ecstatic. I never understood sports.

Kuwait wins over Saudi Arabia 2-1 and everyone is happy. This sudden spurt of nationalism causes an outbreak of festivities in the streets and everyone is proud to be Kuwaiti. I am sorry, but because one footballer has the right pair of legs does not, and should not, be the reason for patriotism.

Did we forget that we are a country within the breach of human rights? Did we forget that women cannot vote still and are second-class citizens? Did we forget that the religious right are telling us what to do, how to do it and when to do it? And a lot more...

So next time you go out waving the flag remember the above.

Disclaimer: I have nothing against sports fans, I just am commenting on the patriotic reaction that resulted from the win.

Music: Golden - Jill Scott


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home