Chocolate & Controversy

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

The Schengen States


The European Union is a great idea. Europe is a continent that reached some of the best standards of living earth has seen, when it comes to all of society. But, why is it so fucking hard to get a visa there. I had to go get one for someone and the things they want. The Belgian one wants travel insurance and a bank statement. The Greek Embassy wants a photocopy of every page of the passport. The German wants travel information from vouchers to tickets. The list goes on. The most lenient, I heard, are the French and Spanish ones. But they also require more than two weeks (in this case 19 days) to review the application and travel documents.

I also went to The American Embassy and that made the EU ones look easy. Being a male in the worst age bracket, I had to sit in a waiting room until my number (not my name) is called in order to enter, get this, another waiting room. Have my fingerprints taken and face an interviewer who has an I've-heard-it-all-before look on her face and half a month later, still no call. I felt like I was a criminal or something.

But, you gotta love the Brits. The British Embassy had a straightforward application. I went in, paid and got a 5 year visa a couple of hours later.

All I wanted was a vacation. Even The South African Embassy was all Schengen-y. That's why I am definately going to be in London Town for new year's. The Brits understand that I have a right to party!

Music: There's Got To Be A Way - Mariah Carey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home