Chocolate & Controversy

Monday, February 14, 2005

Seeing Red





It's so sketchy. Everyone's in celebration of what they think is love. Pink and red everywhere, roses or carnations, chocolate and love songs in the Whitney Houston calibre. However, I have always refused to participate in it. For many reasons, of which:

1. Valentine's day is a christian celebration. St. Valentine to go ahead with marrying people defying a new rule imposed by the reigning Roman leader to stop marriages for young men, since he believed they would perform better in war as bachelors. Then the priest was jailed and fell in love with his jailor's daughter sending her the first of millions of cheesy valentines card signing it: "From Your Valentine." You know that feeling when you eat so much sugar you feel like you want to through up?

2. Increased heterocentricity. It seems that everyday is not enough. On valentine's day people immediately assume that love is between and man and woman (even concentrating on marriage), thus disenfranchising millions.

3. Everyday should be a day of love. Why assign one measly day. Shouldn't that be the standard, always?

4. Cheese. I feel like innovation has taken a vacation during valentine's day. I mean, the whole thing is celebrated so boringly. Hearts, chocolate and red. Come up with something new, please.

5. Commercialization. Enough said.

I do appreciate my lovelys who got me flowers and such. I understand it is thier way of saying I love you and I love you, too. I don't want to shun people who like it or celebrate it, I am merely explaining why, to me, it is disregarded as a valid event. I love you all, everyday.

Music: Real Love - Mary J. Blige

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home