Chocolate & Controversy

Monday, March 07, 2005

Queen Of The Ocean

For a minute there, it looked like the ocean. Waves of people dressed in every shade of blue. All ages and all denominations. This is what it should be like. But it wasn't. The colorful array we presented was much too much for some and we had to leave.
It was great seeing everyone from back in school and such. It was better seeing the younger generation show up with force... or was it because they were given time off? Nonetheless, we made the point clear. I am glad they kicked us out, just for them to know of our presence and how it's gaining resistance.
The youngsters yelled, but what amazed me and almost shook me to tears (if it weren't for my knowing that the naysayers would make me the counter-arguement of women's rights) is that the old school suffragists who have had no support for 40 gruelling years. Seeing the one who started the movement with a veil burning haribinger clutching to her chair refusing to leave the parliament. How, in her old age, she managed to make an example that hasn't been met up. She was there lovely, blonde, strong, shrewd and insistant to get the vote even though it won't do her all that good now. Our Susan B. Anthony.

I take pride in you and I admire everything you are about. I know the road you took hasn't been an easy one. And as the first suffragist of this ailing system I bow down to you as you have done more to this country than any politician, to me.

In her spirit, let's keep it going and lets not stop. Let her see what one day she has always wished and worked hard for. We did it for 1 day, she did it for 40 years. We surely can cram in some more, and I have to say it was fun. Wasn't it?

Music: Push & Pull - Nikka Costa

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home